May 5, 2013
In terms of all the breast enhancement options out there, breast implants are easily the most well known. Yet even though it's such a popular cosmetic surgery option, many people are unaware of the considerations taken when placing breast implants. There are actually many different incision methods for inserting the breast implants, and different ways in which the breast implants can be positioned in the breast pocket itself.
Let's take a moment right now to go over some of the basics regarding breast augmentation methods. When you meet with a Minneapolis plastic surgeon
for a personalized consultation, you will be able to learn more about these options in greater detail.
About Breast Augmentation Surgery
Breast augmentation surgery refers to the placement of breast implants into the breast pocket in order to enhance the size and improve the shape of the breasts. Both saline breast implants and silicone breast implants can be used, each of which as their own benefits and risks. Your cosmetic plastic surgeon serving Minneapolis
can tell you which kind of breast implants are ideal for your needs during your consultation.
Incision Site Options for Breast Augmentation Surgery
There are a number of different incision options for breast implants. These incisions are the places through which the breast implants will be introduced into the body. These incision options are as follows:
- Inframammary incisions - These incisions are located along the crease on the underside of the breasts.
- Periareolar incisions - These incisions are located around the areola.
- Transaxillary incisions - These incisions are located in the arm pit.
- Transumbilical breast augmentation incisions (TUBA) - These incisions are located in the belly button.
- Transabdominal breast augmentation incisions (TABA) - This incision method is only used if a woman is undergoing a tummy tuck (abdominoplasty) and getting breast implants simultaneously. The implants are placed using the tummy tuck incisions.
Options for Breast Implant Placement
In addition to the incision methods mentioned above, there are also different options for the placement of the breast implant in the breast pocket. These placement options for Minneapolis breast augmentation
are as follows:
- Subglandular Breast Implant Placement - In subglandular breast implant placement, the breast implant is positioned beneath the mammary gland but above the pectoral muscle.
- Submuscular Breast Implant Placement - In submuscular breast implant placement, the breast implant is positioned beneath the mammary gland as well as the pectoral muscle.
Factors Determining Incision Method and Placement of the Breast Implants
The above incision techniques and implant placement techniques are not suited to all patients. Your surgeon will determine which options are right for you based on your needs. Some factors that determine the methods used include:
- Type of breast implants to be used
- Size of breast implants to be used
- The patient's body type and frame
Combination Breast Augmentation and Lift Surgery
In addition to the above, there are also some surgeries that combine breast lift and breast implants. This kind of breast enhancement surgery
will improve the perkiness of the breasts while also boosting their size. We can discuss these options in more detail during your visit.
Learn More About Cosmetic Plastic Surgery
To learn more about breast enhancement surgery and how it can benefit you, be sure to contact our Edina, MN cosmetic plastic surgery center
today. The entire team here looks forward to meeting you in person and helping you achieve the best possible aesthetic results.