Stress is something that we all recognize as a potential hazard. The fight or flight response that is inherent to just about every human on the planet comes in handy. It kept our ancestors alive! The problem is that a large percentage of us struggle with feelings of stress on a daily basis. If your chest tightens the moment you walk into your office or at any other moment during your daily routine, there are several reasons to consider how you can respond to the stressors in your life. You may have an idea that stress can affect your health. Did you know that it can also affect your skin?
Cosmetic Consequences of Stress
Stress leads to an increased production of cortisol. This, in turn, can have noticeable consequences in the skin:
- Acne. There is a correlation between the activity of sebaceous glands, which produce oil, and the amount of cortisol floating around in the body. Higher cortisol means more oil production. Where there is more oil on the skin, there is a higher risk of clogged pores and acne.
- Aging. Cortisol, like sun exposure, can speed up the aging process by breaking down the network of collagen and elastin that support the skin.
- Chronic skin problems like psoriasis, rosacea, and eczema can flare up in response to an increase in stress-related cortisol.
Attending to Your Skin
Stress reduction is not really an option, but stress management is. In addition to lowering the risks of premature aging and other skin concerns, relaxation techniques for stress management can improve your health and well-being in general. Whether it’s a hot yoga class that appeals to you, or a stroll through the park, mitigating your daily stressors will benefit you all around.
Patients of Kovanda Aesthetic Surgery have a number of ways to pamper their skin, too. Some of our popular services include:
- BBL treatments for “aging in reverse”
- Chemical peels
- MicroneedlingLaser treatments
- Professional grade skin care
Schedule a Consultation
Offset the effects of stress and other factors associated with aging. Call Kovanda Aesthetic Surgery at our Edina office at (612) 335-9032.