For many women, breast augmentation provides the opportunity to finally obtain the larger and shapelier bust line they have always desired. For others, breast augmentation offers the ability to restore size and shape that has been lost following weight loss, pregnancy, or breast feeding. In all of these cases, it is important that women who choose to undergo breast augmentation obtain the aesthetic results that they hope for following surgery.
The choices made leading up to surgery will have an important impact on the final results of this procedure. One of the most important decisions to be made is whether patients should choose small or large breast implants for their augmentation procedure. Dr. Christopher J. Kovanda discusses the pros and cons of his patients choosing large breast implants for breast augmentation at his plastic surgery practice.
Pros of large breast implants
The goal of breast augmentation is to increase breast size and improve the overall shape of the bust line. For these reasons, it may seem that large breast implants are the obvious choice for breast augmentation. While large breast implants are not the best choice for every patient, they are beneficial in many ways. Below are some of the pros of large breast implants:
- Distinction: Large breast implants obviously increase the bust size and can make a woman stand out in a crowd. For women who like to draw attention and are looking to distinguish themselves from others, large breast implants are the ideal choice.
- Improved confidence: Women who are self-conscious about the size of their breasts may not receive the increase in bust size or confidence that they are looking for with small breast implants. Large breast implants can significantly increase bust size and may improve self-esteem for some women.
- Better body proportions: Women who are pear shaped, or larger in the hips and buttocks, may require large breast implants in order to gain better balance and body proportion.
Cons of large breast implants
Large breast implants may be a good choice for some women, but they do have drawbacks that should be considered. Below are some of the cons of choosing large implants over small breast implants:
- Less natural and discreet: Large breast implants are an obvious alteration to the body. For women who wish to be discreet about this cosmetic procedure or are looking for a more natural-looking enhancement, large breast implants may not be the right choice.
- Increased risk of complications: Women who choose large breast implants are at greater risk of experiencing breast augmentation complications such as capsular contracture, nerve damage, and bottoming out.
- More likely to sag: Heavier breast implants are more likely to cause the breasts to sag under the weight of the implants.
- Physical strain: Large breast implants are heavier and can put strain on the body. The weight of large breast implants can cause pain in the shoulders, neck, and back. Physical activities may also be limited as a result of overly large breasts.
Schedule a consultation
Choosing a breast implant size is important to creating the ideal results of surgery. Fortunately, this decision does not need to be made alone. Dr. Christopher J. Kovanda is happy to help patients choose the breast implant size that is right for them based on their body type and the aesthetic results they desire from surgery. If you have questions about breast implant size or breast augmentation in general, schedule a consultation with Dr. Kovanda at your earliest convenience. We look forward to hearing from you!