Although breast augmentation is an extremely popular option for enhancing the breasts, the breast lift is one option worth knowing about. If you’re in the process of planning your surgery and consulting with your plastic surgeon, it can be helpful to know what to expect. Here’s what to know about your breast lift surgery and how long you can enjoy your rejuvenating results.
What is a Breast Lift?
Also known as mastopexy, a breast lift is a cosmetic surgery procedure that involves changing the shape and contour of the breasts. It’s performed by a board certified plastic surgeon and involves the removal of excess skin and reshaping of the breast tissue to restore the breasts to a more youthful position on the chest. Women who have issues with sagging breasts or nipples that point downward are good candidates for this type of cosmetic surgery.
It’s important to know that a breast lift won’t change the size of your breasts. It rather restores the breasts to a higher, more upright position. However, it’s often performed alongside breast augmentation or breast reduction procedures.
Why Get a Breast Lift?
Over time, your breast can change. This happens for a number of reasons, but it’s normal for your breasts to lose firmness and begin to sag. Some of these reasons include:
• Aging: Sagging and drooping are a normal part of aging for many women as your skin begins to lose elasticity
• Pregnancy and breastfeeding: Your breasts grow and stretch during pregnancy as your body produces milk. After childbirth and breastfeeding, it’s natural to lose volume in the breasts, which leads to deflating and sagging
• Weight loss: If you have lost a considerable amount of weight, it can cause your breasts to lose volume and droop
How Long Will My Results Last?
Generally, the longevity of breast lift results depends on each person. In theory, a breast lift should produce long-term results. However, certain factors can determine how long your breast lift will last. They include:
• Your skin: If your skin retains its elasticity and you actively prevent aging signs, you’ll have a better chance of having a long-lasting breast lift.
• Breast lift aftercare: Following Dr. Kovanda’s aftercare instructions will help ensure your results last for the long term. This includes wearing a supportive bra and avoiding extensive activities until otherwise cleared.
• Surgical methods: Certain techniques during surgery can ensure long-lasting results from your breast lift procedure. Dr. Kovanda can discuss your best options during your consultation.
• Pregnancy and weight: If you’re planning to get pregnant in the future, it’s important to put off your surgery until after your family is complete. This is because future pregnancies can mean you’ll require another procedure for best results. Dramatic changes to your weight should also be avoided if you want lasting results from your breast lift, so make sure to establish a healthy lifestyle.
Schedule a Consultation
The breast lift is one of the best ways to rejuvenate your figure and feel like your best self again. To learn more about your options, we invite you to contact Kovanda Aesthetic Surgery by calling our Minneapolis office or filling out our online form.