As breast augmentation has continued to grow in popularity, new implant options have made the procedure more attractive than ever for some women. Introducing the latest in breast augmentation – gummy bear implants that provide the most natural look and feel of any breast implant on the market today. These cohesive gel implants are guaranteed to hold their shape even if they are torn or ruptured. But are they the best implant choice for you?
What are Gummy Bear Implants?
Gummy bear implants are 5th generation form stable implants that hold their shape even if they are cut in half. They were introduced to the United States in 2002 and officially approved for use in this country in 2013. The implants got their nickname because the gel inside is similar in look and texture to the popular gummy bear candies.
Gummy bear implants come in a variety of profiles to achieve the goals of nearly every patient. These unique implants boast an anatomic round shape designed to mimic the actual shape of the breast more accurately. Implants come in both smooth and textured options.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Gummy Bear Implants
There are a number of reasons why gummy bear implants are in demand today:
- The anatomic shape gives a more natural appearance to the breast
- Firmer texture lowers risk of visible breast rippling
- Textured options offer a lower risk of capsular contracture than other textured implants without concern over rupture
- Implant does not change size or shape if torn
- May be more durable than other types of implants
Despite the many advantages offered by gummy bear implants, there are some drawbacks to these implants as well:
- The anatomic shape does not provide as much fullness to the upper breast
- Incisions to place the implants often have to be larger
- May not feel as soft as other types of silicone implants
- Implants can rotate, resulting in distorted appearance of the breast
- More expensive than other types of breast implants (although Sientra implants are actually more budget-friendly than 4th generation gel implants)
Making a Choice
Choosing breast implants is a highly personal decision that should be made between you and a surgeon that you trust and feel comfortable with. Dr. Christopher Kovanda has 15 years of experience with gel implants, serving as an investigator on the 10-year Mentor Silicone Gel study and working with the implants in his own practice. He will work with you personally to help you choose the procedure and implants to provide you with the best possible results. To learn more, contact Kovanda Aesthetic Surgery at 855-337-4367.