What is SkinPen?
The SkinPen is the first microneedling device in the world cleared by the FDA. SkinPen creates controlled injuries to the skin to stimulate the body’s natural wound healing process, while minimizing cellular damage. This helps to rebuild collagen and hyaluronic acid in the skin. The result: effective remolding of scar tissue, while keeping the overall skin structure intact.
1. Natural. SkinPen is a micro-needling tool that uses sharp needles to create tiny holes in your skin. In response to these micro-injuries, your body produces collagen and elastin to heal the wound naturally. SkinPen doesn’t use chemicals, heat or toxins to burn or remove layers of your skin or paralyze your facial muscles.
2. Safe and relatively comfortable. There are minimal side effects and downtime following a SkinPen procedure. Slight swelling and redness/pinkness in the area (like that from a mild sunburn) usually last only two to four days, so you can return to work or social activities quickly. SkinPen has minimal risk of scarring or infections. Your SkinPen provider will usually apply a topical anesthetic before the procedure, making you comfortable.
3. Versatile. SkinPen can be used to improve the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles, stretch marks and acne scars. SkinPen can be used on many different body parts, including face, neck, décolletage, arms, hands, legs, abdomen and back. SkinPen needles adjust to different lengths, allowing your SkinPen provider to customize your procedure based on skin’s thickness and your specific needs.
4. Effective for all skin types. Because SkinPen doesn’t affect the epidermis (where the skin pigment resides), it can be used on all skin types.
5. Cost-effective. The features listed above make SkinPen a cost-effective choice to other skin procedures such as chemical peels, laser resurfacing or Botox.
How Does SkinPen Work?
The microneedles in SkinPen create tiny injuries in the skin, which stimulates the natural production of collagen and elastin. After applying a topical numbing cream, your medical aesthetician will use the SkinPen to target your specific concerns. The treatment results in a more even tone, improved texture, and minimized fine lines and wrinkles.
After SkinPen treatment, some swelling can occur and redness is normal. You may choose to gently apply makeup to cover up redness and return to your normal activities after your treatment.
What Conditions Can SkinPen Treat?
SkinPen treats a variety of conditions, including:
- Fine lines
- Moderate wrinkles
- Uneven skin tone
- Skin laxity
- Uneven texture
What can you expect from your SkinPen microneedling procedure?
- A comfortable experience
- Short procedure time of about 30 minutes
- A plan for optimal results
- Mild post-procedure effects, similar to mild or moderate sunburn
- Effective on all body parts, including face, neck and decolletage
- Safe for all skin types, light to dark
- Ideal anytime of the year
- Little to no downtime with lasting results
Schedule a Consultation
To see if SkinPen treatment is a good option for you, schedule a consultation at Kovanda Plastic Surgery and Aesthetic Institute. Request an appointment online or call our Edina office at (612) 335-9032.